Alwaght- Tunisia's president has announced a 30-day state of emergency across the north African state after an explosion struck a bus carrying members of the presidential guard, killing at least 12 people and wounding 20 others.
The government described it as a terrorist attack. The Tuesday blast on a tree-lined avenue in the heart of Tunisia is a new blow to a country that is seen as a model for the region but has struggled against Islamic extremist violence.
Speaking in a televised address, Tunisian President Mohamed Beji Caid Essebsi declared a state of emergency across the country for 30 days and an eight-hour-long curfew throughout the capital Tunisia in the wake of the deadly terrorist attack.
“I want to reassure the Tunisian people that we will vanquish terrorism,” he added.
He pointed out that Tunisia is at "war against terrorism" and urged international cooperation against extremists who have killed hundreds around Europe and the Mideast in recent weeks, from Paris to Beirut to a Russian plane shot down over Egypt.
His office also said that Essebsi had cancelled a trip to Switzerland, which had been scheduled for Wednesday.
Earlier this month, Tunisian authorities announced the dismantling of a cell that it said had planned attacks at police stations and hotels in the seaside city of Sousse, about 150 kilometers (95 miles) southeast of Tunisia. Sousse was one of the targets of attacks earlier this year.
The ISIS Takfiri terrorist group claimed the responsibility for the attacks.