Alwaght- At least 37 Saudi and Sudanese soldiers were killed during Yemeni forces two retaliatory attacks in the kingdom's southwestern border region.
Brigadier General Yahya Saree, the spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces, said on Sunday that at least 11 Saudi soldiers and 26 Sudanese troops had been killed in Saudi Arabia’s provinces of Jizan and Najran over the past hours, Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah reported.
The Yemeni forces targeted military positions across the region following the gathering and analysis of intelligence, he added.
Saree also said Saudi-paid militiamen suffered heavy losses when Yemeni army soldiers and allied fighters from Popular Committees repelled their attacks in some parts of Hudaydah and al-Rabuah provinces.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched the war on Yemen in March 2015 with the goal of bringing a former regime that had been submissive to Riyadh back to power.
Sudan has contributed forces to the invading coalition.
A number of Western countries — the US and Britain in particular — supply that coalition with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.
Thousands of Yemeni civilians have been killed, while thousands more have been injured.
Much of the country’s infrastructure has also been destroyed, and a Saudi-led blockade has deprived most of the Yemeni population of clean water, food, and proper healthcare.