Alwaght- North Korea has reportedly warned the US that nuclear negotiations were “again at stake and may fall apart”.
CNN cited sources familiar with the talks on Tuesday as saying that a letter was delivered to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, stating that Pyongyang felt that the process could not move forward because "the US is still not ready to meet (North Korean) expectations in terms of taking a step forward to sign a peace treaty."
If a compromise cannot be reached and nascent talks crumble, Pyongyang could resume "nuclear and missile activities," the sources said.
The existence of the letter, sent to Pompeo by Kim Yong Chol, the former head of North Korea's intelligence agency, was first reported by the Washington Post.
American top diplomat canceled his fourth trip to Pyongyang hours before he was scheduled to depart with his new special envoy Stephen Biegun on Friday.
The Washington Post reported on Monday that US President Donald Trump called off a visit to North Korea by Pompeo after the latter received a belligerent letter from a senior North Korean official just hours after the trip was announced last week.
The Washington Post said the exact contents of the message were unclear, but it was sufficiently belligerent that Trump and Pompeo decided to call off the planned trip.
On Sunday, North Korea’s state media accused the United States of “double-dealing” and “hatching a criminal plot” but did not mention Pompeo’s canceled visit.