Alwaght- Kuwait announced on Tuesday that 29 people, most of them residents of this Persian Gulf Arab country, will face trial for last month's bombing of a Shiite mosque that was claimed by ISIS terrorist group.
On Tuesday, the KUNA News Agency reported that those facing trial include seven Kuwaitis and 13 "illegal residents" — a reference to Kuwait's "bidoon" community that is made up largely of desert nomads considered stateless by the government. Also facing trial are five Saudis, three Pakistanis and a fugitive whose nationality is not yet known.
Of the 29 people, 24 were detained inside Kuwait, while the remaining five are expected to be tried in absentia.
Two of the five to be tried in absentia have been identified as Saudi brothers who allegedly transported explosives to Kuwait. They are currently being held in Saudi Arabia.
Reports say two have been charged with premeditated murder and attempted murder. Two others were charged with training and nine with assisting in committing the crime.
The remaining face charged of being informed about plans of the attack and failing to tip off authorities.
On June 26, at least 27 people lost their lives and nearly 230 others sustained injuries in the bomb attack that ripped through Imam Sadiq (PBUH) Mosque in al-Sawabir, a busy residential and shopping district of Kuwait City.
Following the incident, the Kuwaiti Interior Ministry said the attack was carried out by Saudi national Fahd Suleiman Abdulmohsen al-Qaba’a.
The latest development comes a day after the Kuwaiti cabinet decided to set up a permanent committee to "fight against all forms of terrorism... and extremism."
The self-proclaimed ISIS-affiliated group, Najd Province, claimed responsibility for the deadly attack in Kuwait. It also said it had carried out two similar attacks against Shiite mosques in Eastern Saudi Arabia where tens of people including children lost their lives.