Alwaght- At least 50 people, mostly children, were killed and 77 others were injured after Saudi-led military alliance stuck a school bus in Yemen’s Saada province on Thursday, Al Masirah news network reported.
The school bus came under attack as it was approaching a crowded market in Dahyan city en route to a Quran class.
In a separate Twitter post, Johannes Bruwer, the head of an ICRC delegation in Yemen, said that "according to local officials a total of 50 people died and 77 were injured this morning.
Most of the children were inside the bus when the airstrike hit, according to a local medic, Yahya al-Hadi.
Al Masirah TV network, said the bus, which was carrying a group of students attending summer classes learning the Holy Quran, was targeted.
The network posted several videos on Twitter showing the aftermath of the attack, including one with several dead children, and another of blood pouring from the heads of three child survivors.
The Saudi-UAE alliance later issued a statement to the Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya propaganda mouthpiece saying it launched the attacks on Saada, but that it had targeted "missile launchers".
Meanwhile, Iran has sharply condemned a Saudi-led airstrike that killed dozens of Yemeni civilians, mostly children on a school bus. In a statement on Thursday, Foreign Ministry spokesman, Bahram Qassemi, expressed sympathy with the families of those killed and injured in the latest Saudi airstrike, which hit the bus at a market in Yemen's northwestern province of Sa'ada earlier in the day.
Qassemi described the brutal Saudi-led attack as a "war crime."
The Iranian official further called on the United Nations, human rights groups and other influential players to double their efforts and help bring a swift halt to such acts of aggression.
Qassemi added that the hike in the "bombardments of residential areas and non-military targets was indicative of coalition forces' consecutive defeats on the battlefield" against Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah fighters and allied forces -- who have been defending the nation against the Riyadh-led campaign of aggression since its onset in 2015.
The Iranian official further blasted certain states for failing to end their military support for the Saudi regime and its vassal states despite the bloodletting in the poorest Arabian Peninsula state.
The Saudi-led military campaign was launched in support of Yemen's former Riyadh-friendly government and against its popular Houthi movement.
The US, the UK and other Western powers have been providing arms and intelligence to the alliance in the course of the war, which has unleashed the world's worst humanitarian crisis in Yemen, according to the UN.